Field service representative
Isomass Scientific Inc. is looking to fill an opening for a full-time Field Service Representative based in Calgary, Alberta. We are an independently owned company established in 1981. Our business revolves around providing scientific instruments, support, service, training and consumables. Our customers vary from government organizations to private companies, universities, hospitals, and companies conducting research, development, and manufacturing.
A position of a field service representative is an opportunity for you to grow to be the technical lead of analytical instrumentation within Canada and beyond. A field service representative is a highly respected position of trust and the first line of customer support in the business. The trustworthiness, professionalism and the good relationship between the field service representative and the customer are the fundamental bricks of our business. The skills to be acquired are transferable to sales, application scientist, installation instructor, operation management or similar positions in the same nature of the business.
- Degree or diploma in any of the following fields: Chemical, electrical, environmental, geological, health, physical, toxicological sciences or engineering or closely related field, obtained from a Canadian higher education institution or equivalent.
- 3 years hands-on experience on any of the following analytical laboratory instruments: mass spectrometers, chromatographs, elemental analysers, optical spectroscopes either as a user or service provider or technical support specialist or technical sales or similar.
- Experience and confidence in working with vacuum systems, chemicals, dangerous goods, hazardous materials either in laboratory environments or as a technical expert or service provider or technical sales.
- Strong troubleshooting skills including understanding the logical manner of fault finding, with a great attention to details. Able to obtain skills in reading basic wiring diagrams and conduct basic electrical testing including under high voltage conditions (training will be provided). Ability and confidence to replace instrument parts.
- Strong computer literacy skills including the ability to replace computer hardware and accessories, install operating systems and other software.
- Excellent numeracy skills, including the ability to measure, estimate.
- Professional working proficiency in English in all four skills: Listening, Reading, Speaking and Writing.
- Ability to clearly communicate complex technical terms to customers and colleagues in writing (e-mail) and verbally, primarily in English.
- Ability to learn new information quickly. Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Ability to organise service visits with the primary support of the Operation Manager and attend customer sites in a timely and organised manner.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision and/or as part of a team.
- Ability to respond to customer inquires in a timely and professional manner.
- Ability to work under pressure with a primary focus on customer satisfaction.
- Ability to prioritize multiple priorities and administrative responsibilities.
- Driving license Class 5 (or equivalent). The successful candidate must keep their driving license during employment.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs with assistance and lift and carry 30 lbs throughout the day.
- Valid documentations for travelling to the European Union and to return to Canada during the entire length of employment.
- Being able to meet personal and public health related requirements for travel and customer site admittance.
- Willing to travel up to 90% of time. Being able to travel/work over the weekend if required by the Employer. Travel will mainly be across Canada however, occasional travel outside of Canada is a necessary part of the role.
-Be motivated and open to learn new skills.
- Education at the level of Master and/or Ph.D. with a strong focus on technical developments (instrument, vacuum system developments) will be looked upon as a plus.
- Experience in inorganic mass spectrometry (ICP, TIMS, IRMS, NGMS, MS-MS, quadrupole) and multi-collector spectrometry as a user, service provider, technical support or technical sales will be considered a strong asset.
- GMP/GLP experience will be considered an asset.
- Coding and/or scripting skills (C++, Matlab, Pyton, Excel macros).
- Language skills in any of the followings: French, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Mandarin, Cantonese.
- Registration or pursuing of a registration as a professional engineer or geoscientist or engineer or geoscientists in training in Alberta or registration into a relevant technical society.
- Ability to obtain a police certificate if required by the employer or a customer.
- Ability to obtain visa for business purposes to Argentina, Chile, Brazil, Mexico, UK and British Commonwealth Area and US if required by the employer.
Duties and responsibilities
- Conduct work from the company office or visit customer sites as required by the employer. Calgary Office hours are 8:00 – 16:30 Monday – Friday. Customer’s site hours will vary.
- Work additional hours when travelling from/to or at customer sites as required by the employer and/or customers.
- Conduct and/or take part in service, installation, maintenance and warranty works and training with respect to any products sold and/or serviced by the company in the Office or customer sites. Diagnose and solve problems using service manuals and other documentation.
- Travel to work locations by own car within Alberta and up to 10 miles from Alberta border but excluding the US. Maintain a personal vehicle that is fit to road travel all year round.
- Travel within Canada and internationally via train and air as necessary if and when required by the employer to attend customer sites to conduct work.
- Represent the company in a positive and professional manner in all dealings with customers. Maintain a high level of customer experience by building positive relationships and act professionally.
- Provide technical support, advise, counsel for customers from the Office (online meetings, phone calls, e-mails) or from customer sites with respect to any product the company sells or services.
- Provide technical support for sales and marketing activities for office staff members primarily from the office, including helping to form contracts, marketing materials or clarify technical terms.
- Attend on relevant training courses to maintain a high level of competence, as determined by the company. Maintain an up-to-date knowledge on the nature, type and application of products sold and/or serviced by the company.
- Address challenges and opportunities in a fast-paced environment.
- Maintain an up-to-date record of expenses for business with original receipts and submit expenses in time.
- Maintain an up-to-date and archived record of customer correspondence.
- Comply with customer site attendance requirements if and when applicable.
- Maintain transparency at all times with respect to customer correspondence.
- Handle confidential information (customer information, technical details, drawings, schematics) at the highest standard.
- Competitive annual salary that depends on the successful candidate’s base knowledge, skills set and the number of years of relevant experience. Annual salary is not lower than $73k.
- Annual fixed car allowance on top of salary, the value of which is at the vicinity of $9k/annum.
- Potential for a year-end bonus, depending on the annual performance of the company.
- 2 weeks paid vacation per annum + general statutory holidays defined at the beginning of each year.
- An additional 1-week paid vacation after 5 years of full-time employment.
- Cumulative sick leave of 1 day/month per annum.
- Compulsory and comprehensive health and dental benefit package. 50% of premium is covered by the employer.
- Lieu day credits provided to compensate for additional time spent working or travelling on weekends or holidays.
- Company laptop and necessary accessories.
- All necessary tools to carry out the work.
- Mobile phone purchase support of $200 in every 2 years and fully covered mobile phone use costs for work related purposes. International roaming costs will be covered.
- Full training of the relevant scientific instruments that the successful candidate will be working with at training sites located domestically and internationally if applicable and available, with expenses fully covered.
- Enrollment into corporate airline and hotel accounts of the choice of the employer.
- $200 toward annual fee for your personal credit card that is used for work related expenses. All accumulated points and benefits arising from airline ticket purchasing/flying, hotel room bookings/stays and car rental or via other means if applicable, for business purposes for the employee. The value of this largely depends on the frequency of travel and worthiness of points set by the service provider but overall, the average annual value is in the thousands of dollars.
- Annual, fully covered business membership for a leading wholesaler in Canada at the choice of the employer.
- Recognition of the need for flexibility with working hours for personal reasons, subject of open communication between the employer and employee and mutual agreement.
- Access to a well-equipped workshop in the Calgary warehouse.
- Potential to attend relevant domestic and international conferences with expenses fully covered by the employer.
- Professional registration or trainee registration fully covered and time provided for mandatory professional development hours if applicable, upon mutual agreement.
- Full cover of relevant training courses that are beneficial for both employee and employer.
- Free coffee every morning!
How to apply?
Whether you have an academic or industrial background the Isomass Team would like to hear from you!
If interested, please send your application material to email@example.com as a single pdf file. Your application must include:
- Your Resume or CV, written in English that is up to 2 pages long and does not exceed 1200 words. Please stay concise, focus on your skills and achievements! Please do not include any personal information other than your name, e-mail address and phone number.
- A cover letter that is up to one page long, written in English, in which you explain why you think you would be a good fit for the position and what your goals are for a mid-term future.
- List of at least 2 referees including their name, institution, e-mail address and phone number who can verify previous employment record(s) and to whom Isomass Scientific Inc. may reach out anytime. The referee may be a former or current line manager, supervisor, professor, customer, client or colleague and must have a professional working proficiency in English.
- Supporting documents which may include a copy of your degree/diploma, Canadian credential evaluation if you obtained your degree or diploma from outside of Canada, letter from your referees if you have one, professional registration certificate if applicable, publication record if applicable or any other relevant documentation that you feel would support your application. While English language does not have to be the applicant’s first language, we encourage you to submit your English language test result if you have one.
Everyone is encouraged to apply irrespective of age, gender, ethnicity or ethnical background, nationality or national background, disability, religion or belief, race, sex, sexual orientation or any other protected or unprotected characteristics and political view. While internationally located candidates are encouraged to apply, priority will be given to Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents and holders of a Canadian open work permit who are based in Alberta, Canada, or elsewhere in Canada in this order.
No agencies please.
Please be aware of scammers. Isomass Scientific Inc. cannot be held responsible for any communication and result of that communication by any third party on or seemingly on behalf of Isomass Scientific Inc.
There is no deadline for the application. The evaluation starts as applications arrive and the position will remain open until the successful candidate has been found.
We thank everyone for their interest in working for Isomass Scientific Inc. and we wish good luck for the job-hunting process. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.